VOTE YES FOR MARRIAGE: ONE MAN-ONE WOMAN!

7:53 PM Posted In Edit This 2 Comments »

Tonight Cameron, Brandon and I went door to door for 50 homes in our neighborhood hanging door tags. (Tim would have joined us but is enjoying San Francisco as we speak.) We had a job to do and we were brave enough to do it. We were not alone. We were only assigned 1/3 of the neighborhood. Yes, we were hanging tags promoting a YES vote on proposition 102, which in the good state of Arizona amends our state constitution, defining marriage as a union between one man and one woman while maintaining the current statutory law of the State of Arizona which prohibits marriage between persons of the same sex.

This is an important vote for AZ because, when it amends the constitution, it leaves the ability for a judge to overturn it less possible unlike the case that happened in California that caused three judges to overturn the people's vote and thus the need to put the definition of marriage on the ballot all over again.
(Not actual car!)

This is serious stuff and so we decided to do our tiny part, besides VOTE YES, and hang these door tags. It was all relatively easy to do until one woman chose to call the police on us saying we were violating the "no solicitation" rules of the neighborhood. Okay, so I hate the door hanging junk on my door as much as the next guy but no one, not a single person has had that enforced nor does the town of Gilbert attempt to enforce it. I just have to pick the junk up off my front door or walk and throw it away. Still solicitation is more for selling things, right? So when the police officer stopped the three of us, he asked us what we were doing and if we lived in the neighborhood. I showed him our door tags and told him we lived two streets over and that I was aware that there were no solicitation signs but that they were not enforced. I also told him we were not selling anything so I did not think we were violating anything. I think he agreed and actually said that he did not know why he was called as there was little he could do. I really secretly think that once he saw what we were hanging out, he must have been in favor and therefore chose to send us on our merry way. What a sweet man officer Sweet (yes, that was his name!) was! And what a ridiculous waste of our tax dollars sending him on a wild goose chase on account of a cranky old lady with a beef but no law on her side.

For her trouble, I think Cameron gave her three hang tags!!!!

2 comments:

who? said...

You are such a troublemaker, Patty! Next time take your camera with you so you can get a picture with the policeman, too!

Shannon

PS~No, I don't have a blog. I live vicariously through you and Rhea and Susan.

Ha! The verification word I have to type in below is "polyce."

Loretta said...

BWHAHAHA! That was some excitement in your day! Good for Brandon giving the trouble making lasy three hang tags! :) It's all for a good cause!!!