DINNER, ANYONE?

9:56 PM Posted In Edit This 5 Comments »





Wow, I was thinking about food storage today. I was thinking about how we should store food that we actually eat. I was thinking about how chicken and the extra lean ground beef have been on sale all summer long. And I was thinking how happy I am that I learned how to can it when it was on sale and when my stove did not decide that canning on it was much too big of a task for it. (Don't use this kind of range for canning, it doesn't like to be heated up and trips some sensor or another. I need an old electric coil range out on my back patio or something for canning.)





Then I remembered someone saying something about taking the rings off the jars after they seal. I remembered that I had not done that. I remembered that I did not feel like digging them all out of the pantry and doing that tedious job. Then I remembered all the hard work I put into canning and if leaving the rings on would in any way affect my jars, well then, I would do that tedious job!

So I dragged out the jars and took off the rings, and lined all my beautiful bottles up and guess what, I have 104 pints of meat! My original goal was one pint per day for three months. One pint equals a pound of meat and a good amount for our ever dwindling family size. I figured one meat a day (dinner) and I have three months of already cooked main ingredient for dinner!
Now I just need a month's worth of recipes to keep my family happy with chicken and ground beef. I canned a few jars of pork but I really don't like it all that much and when you see the fat that will need to be skimmed off that when opened, well, ewwww!


A few necessary pieces of equipment, like a pressure canner, some jars and some food AND a stove that won't give you grief, and voila! Canning is easy. And we tested out the food after a few days and we all lived to tell about it so I must have done it right. And it tasted good too!





Rings off!

5 comments:

little ol' me said...

I am very impressed of what you did. I wish that I can do that. Do you want to help me next week????

little ol' me said...

I loved your last two blogs. How about coming over next week and helping me do some canning????? Also, I need help with knowing how to put pics on my blog like you did.

Loretta said...

VERY COOL! You soooo have to come out here and help me!!!!! I want to do that!

Dahly Mama said...

Patty! You are amazing!!! Wow! 104 pints! So I want in on the teaching session of canning!! I keep saying I want to learn but haven't done anything about it! Where did you get your pressure cooker? Everyone says it is way easy too, but again, that "just do it" thing is a toughy for me!!!

E said...

wait, you have to take the rings off after they seal?? =) oops... i guess i'd better go do that...