Christmas makes me feel emotional

7:29 AM Posted In Edit This 3 Comments »



















Well, here we are, December, and the decorations are going up. I remember as a child being so excited to help my mom get the decorations out. My sister and I put in the Gene Autry album and sang along to all his songs while we decorated, baked cookies and got in the festive mood. I remember, too, when we were so happy on the rare occasion that St Louis got its first snowfall in December. It usually waited until January to happen. We would play outside, get soaking wet, dry our gloves and hats and coats on the old radiators or lay them over the heat vents (depending on which house we were living in at the time) then warm ourselves with some hot chocolate prepared in a pot on the stove.





I also remember the excitement as school drew to a close and we were anxious for the break we got. Of course, back when I attended school, the semester did not end until January so we always had the finals and things to look forward to upon returning! It is nice now that there is a fresh clean slate and new semester, grades and classes to go back to for my children.

So, this year we have begun our decorating. It is an interesting phenomenon how I have noticed that during the day, the decorations are plain and the tree and outdoor lights do not look that great. You can see the extension cords and the flaws. You can see the tree is artificial. BUT, when the sun sets and the lights go on, all becomes magical and the holiday season takes on a dreamy quality that reminds us of simpler times and past traditions that bring us back around to the emotions they stir in us and help us to remember the reason for the season~

3 comments:

Loretta said...

I know what you mean -- the evening brings a whole different feel! I like the calmness a room dimmly lit by Christmas tree lights brings. :)

E said...

your tree is gorgeous!

Patty said...

Thank you Emily!